Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dumpster Bookcase to Distressed Beauty

Want to see how to make a boring bookcase into this......

Left by a dumpster, this bookcase had definitely seen better days. I just knew it had a hidden beauty deep inside. Here's the before, she's laying on her back because she's old and tired like me haha. I put her up on saw horses before I realized I forgot to take a before pic. I think you get the picture, old, brown, yucky. I just told her to sit back and relax and I would give her the works!




I lightly sanded and glued two cute little rose appliques to the top front sides. I added some leftover beadboard wallpaper to the inner back. and raised her up off the floor with 4 turned legs. After painting with a semi-gloss in Behr Bleached Linen I gave a once over with Valspar Mocha Glaze. I loved what I saw but then had a moment of inspiration. I had a cute little multi paned window salvaged from an old house and it fit exactly in between the shelves on the bookcase! The great part about the window was that it was already distressed! My hubby installed some hinges and lo and behold she was transformed! Take a look.



Little rose applique
Dumpster Diva no more, now she's a Pretty Princess!

Here's the legs I used plus the plate to attach it to the bookcase. Can you tell I use the bejeebers out of that glaze?



Before
After


I am linking to the following parties:



15 comments:

  1. Well THAT was fun and unexpected. Can't wait to see how you dress it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! That window is great! I would have never thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your bookcase. So original with the window over the front. Looks great!!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic!! What a great transformation~ you should come over and share this at Feathered Nest Friday~ It is gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome looking makeover...thanks for showing it off at NTT!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopping back by to say thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an AMAZING transformation! I especially love the window sash! Very creative!
    Visiting from Insp. Friday Link Party.
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is WOW! That's an amazing transformation! I saw Courtney featured you today so I popped on over, am now following you:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came from French Country Cottage. What an amazing transformation. The addition of the window was just inspired! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great transformation! It looks completely different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this transformation! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there!
    Your bookcase came out beautifully! I love your style!
    Blessings to you,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing transformation - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the window pane idea. It looks great with all of your treasures behind it. You did a great job bringing a bland old bookcase to life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh MY...you have such a wonderful talent for this refinshing thing!! I've SO enjoyed visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...