Sunday, December 11, 2011

Relaxing by the Fire and some easy crafts for Christmas

                  My  Christmas Mantel

         My Golden Retriever 'Semper' loves to snuggle up by the fire and watch the flames dance.
          He's also a major camera hog, but who could resist those big brown eyes and cold black nose?

All the lights and cheeriness is going to be a hard act to follow after the decorations
are all taken down. I'm thinking of adding an oval mirror and lots of candles to give
the mantel the same feel.
*Craft #1:  Easy peasy sparkle 'JOY' letters, pick up some curly letters from Michael's,  spray paint in color of choice, spray with Elmer's Spray Glue, sprinkle liberally with glitter.
*Craft #2: My coffee filter wreath, everybody needs one of these. You can find tutorials all over
the internet but here's a link for a video tutorial from Lowe's Creative Ideas.
Coffee Filter Wreath
A small little singing bird tucked away on a window sill
This picture called Moonlit Sleigh Ride by Thomas Kinkade makes me homesick for the snow. I was born in Ohio and lived there til I was 12 and I remember looking out my window at the newly fallen snow. It was so magical and absolutely beautiful and all the sounds of the city were softened by the snow.
So I decided to create my own snow scene such as it is....
A sweet little church that I've had for quite some time.
Nestled among the snow drifts, all is calm in the little white church.
While a chubby little snowman looks on with glee. This little guy lived at the Goodwill Store until I adopted him and brought him home. *Craft #3: He got a fresh coat of paint and some sparkley glitter and he's much happier now.
And what pray tell is this?
 Looks like somebody hitched a ride in on the ornaments. How fitting that a 'Praying' Mantis decided to come in and celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ with us.
The Shofar, (ram's horn) behind the nativity is one I bought on my trip to Israel.

And now I'll just leave you with a sweet little poem I found..........enjoy.

The Night Before 
Christmas - On the Ranch


'Twas the night before Christmas and out on the ranch
The pond was froze over and so was the branch.
The snow was piled up belly-deep to a mule.
The kids were all home on vacation from school,
And happier young folks you never did see-
Just all sprawled around a-watchin' TV.


Then suddenly, some time around 8 o'clock,
There came a surprise that gave them a shock!
The power went off, the TV went dead!
When Grandpa came in from out in the shed
With an armload of wood, the house was all dark.
"Just what I expected," they heard him remark.
"Them power line wires must be down from the snow.
Seems sorta like times on the ranch long ago."


"I'll hunt up some candles," said Mom. "With their light,
And the fireplace, I reckon we'll make out all right."
The teenagers all seemed enveloped in gloom.
Then Grandpa came back from a trip to his room,


Uncased his old fiddle and started to play
That old Christmas song about bells on a sleigh.
Mom started to sing, and first thing they knew
Both Pop and the kids were all singing it, too.


They sang Christmas carols, they sang "Holy Night,"
Their eyes all a-shine in the ruddy firelight.
They played some charades Mom recalled from her youth,
And Pop read a passage from God's Book of Truth.


They stayed up till midnight-and, would you believe,
The youngsters agreed 'twas a fine Christmas Eve.
Grandpa rose early, some time before dawn;
And when the kids wakened, the power was on.


"The power company sure got the line repaired quick,"
Said Grandpa - and no one suspected his trick.
Last night, for the sake of some old-fashioned fun,
He had pulled the main switch - the old Son-of-a-Gun!


~ Anonymous ~
                                                  Linking to.....
                                    Wow Us Wednesday
                               Walking in Wonderland Party
                               Home and Family Friday
                               Sunday Showcase Party
                               http://www.jenniferrizzo.com
                               Anything Goes at Eye Heart
                               Show Me What Ya Got
                               Mocking Bird Hill Cottage

25 comments:

  1. Hello ~ your mantel is just lovely and your furbaby is adorable. Those big brown eyes would get me every time~! Love your little snow scene. In Ontario it's cold, but alas, no snow yet ~ I am going to follow along ~ have a great day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Christmasy it all looks. I would love if you linked to http://www.eyeheart.ca/2011/12/anything-goes-at-eye-heart-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom the bookshelf idea is awesome great idea. The praying mantis was definitely Gods idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful Christmas creations! I love your snow scene ... your mantel is lovely and the glistening Church is fabulous! *Becca* (now following, by way of DebbieDoo)

    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your camera hog is adorable! Love your snow scene and decor.

    Happy decorating!
    Veronica
    Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

    ReplyDelete
  7. It look adorable!!! Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the snow scene you created..Your dog is adorable..
    Merry Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so cozy. I love the picture of your dog! So sweet! The little snow scene is so pretty. I grew up in Ohio also (Ayersville) but moved to Virginia when I was nine. I do not miss snow though since we have had snowy winters the past two years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely Christmas decorations but I think your precious pooch stole the show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love looking through your windows! So warm and cozy. Your wreathes are beautiful. That guy hitched a ride for a photo op, I'd bet!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would sit in front of the fire place all day like your dog.

    have a wonderful evening

    Regula

    ReplyDelete
  13. The snow scene is soooo charming. I love that view through the window....doesn't get cozier than that.


    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snowy scene you created in so whimsical. I'm still waiting for snow to fall here! ❄

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your doggie - we have a lot of golden retrievers in our family - such wonderful dogs! Your mantel is beautiful and the snow scene is just magical! Thanks for joining in on the party.
    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your mantel! Your puppy is so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wondrous Holiday Home you have friend...you have an amazing fireplace & it looks like your puppy takes complete advantage of this warm spot!
    Thanks for sharing friend!!
    Smiles,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Teresa-

    Your decorations look so festive.I think Semper adds the perfect warm and cozy touch.

    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your winter scene ~ just darling!! I am your newest follower.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute I want a grandpa like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the glittery snow man and the living room with that roaring fire is just beautiful. I can't wait to explore your other posts. I'm now a follower, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The first picture of Semper in front of the fire looks like a Christmas card (: love the detail on your old mantle. Everything is beautiful. Christmas blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your mantel is gorgeous and I agree things always seem a bit sparse when the decorations come down. An oval mirror is a great solution for above the mantel. You have such a pretty home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the way you created the snow scene behind the window. And our furry pets really do add the finishing touch to all our home decor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...